Tuesday, July 03, 2007

2nd Annual "Week Without News"

Nancy Grace Needs a Time-Out
It's that time again kiddies ... as Independence Day approaches, so doth my freedom to withdraw from all things mass media-related for seven days straight. That's right, it's time for "A Week Without News." For those who are unfamiliar with why I decided to do this, you can get the skinny here.

What: 2nd Annual "A Week Without News"
When: July 4 through July 10
Why: "Because you're Kelly, Kelly, Kelly" ... er, I mean to demonstrate that the world does not revolve around shocking news delivered by some well-coiffed talking head.
How: Should you choose to accept this mission, simply avoid all forms of media for the next seven days (it's more difficult than you think). Consider it your own little protest against the incessant march of Paris Hilton Pimpin'/Barry Bonds Bashin'/Metro Murder Mayhem infotainment.

Last year, my daily blog posts focused on the experience of avoiding all forms of media, from morning radio and newspapers to online news sites and TV broadcasts. I also did some of my usual anti-media barking, all of which I still stand behind, but this year I want to take a somewhat different approach. Each day, I'm going to highlight an example of news reporting done right or a story or topic we should be focusing on, rather than merely consuming what we're fed.

Now, obviously I'm using editorial license to handpick these stories, so when I say what "we 'should' be focusing on," it's just my opinion. And actually, when you think about it, in that sense the only thing that separates me from a news editor is the title. At the end of the day, these folks have to make an editorial call on what makes the news and what doesn't. Of course, that's all remedial, motherhood crap we're all familiar with, but I thought it was ironic just the same.

One thing to note this time around -- I'm kicking this off a couple of weeks earlier this year. Last time I mentioned the existence of a national day of media boycott on July 4. So, in honor of that event, I'm starting this and all subsequent 'weeks without news' on Independence Day.

Also, as I've mentioned previously, I do this thing for myself. I obviously don't expect everyone to place the same priority as I do on such a subject. However, I welcome everyone's feedback, comments, and above all else, participation. If you feel as I do, then I look forward to you joining me each year. Or, if you prefer, simply show your displeasure in whatever manner you deem appropriate (so long as it doesn't include Joan Rivers, pickled herring and a sock).

And on a final note, during the last year, I was surprised to come across a few instances of journalists doing their jobs correctly. I hope to share some of those stories with you this time around, and of course I'd love to hear your own thoughts on things you think should be covered more, so add comments at will.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home